Sunday, May 6, 2012

Homemade Vogel -like bread!

To all my Kiwi followers out there, especially those away from home, you will know, and most likely crave, the taste of traditional Kiwi Vogel breads. Those dense, nutty, whole grain delicious breads! For many years now I have been searching for, testing and tweaking recipes that might give me a little taste of home away from home....and here it is!! Finally I have developed a recipe that I really feel is as close as I'll be able to get to Vogel, made at home in my trusty bread maker.

This is a wonderful bread, but comes with a small warning- it is not for those of us looking to cut calories. There is a lot of sunflower and pumpkin seeds in this bread which ups the calorie content, so be careful with serving sizes. On the good side, these contain healthy unsaturated fats which are good for our hearts and provide the hearty texture that makes this bread so good. They are also good sources of magnesium and zinc...good for immune function and blood vessel health which are both required to living well!



Homemade Vogel - Style Bread
1 1/2c white flour
1 1/2c whole wheat flour
1/4c cornmeal
1 1/2teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons dried milk powder
2 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons butter
2/3c raw sunflower seeds (unsalted)
2/3c raw pumpkin seeds (unsalted)
12 fl oz water (warm)
1 packet rapid-rise yeast

Add all ingredients to your bread maker and follow your bread maker instructions to bake multi-grain bread. I have also successfully used the whole wheat "rapid-bake" function and this bread comes out beautifully. Just a little piece of New Zealand for you all to enjoy!


4 comments:

  1. Have you tried using spelt flour, rather than wheat flour? And what about Surebake yeast?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I haven't tried using spelt flour, but if you do, please do let me know how it goes! I am sure Surebake yeast will work just fine.

      Delete
  2. I have made another loaf using Spelt white and Spelt wholemeal, using Surebake yeast, and it seems to work well -

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info Arthur!! I will eventually try Spelt in this recipe myself!! :)

    ReplyDelete